It’s important to revisit your goals once in a while and make adjustments – that’s what I learned today
It’s 5: 57 PM on day 578 of my journey towards independence and I’ve managed to prepare and publish my Disability of the Day feature, continue reading Double Double written by Cameron Herold, drink tea by myself, feed myself garlic bread for breakfast,rest – there was a power outage for about five hours so there was nothing much else I could do – and go to physiotherapy.
Today I looked at Timeline to complete all the things I need to do to become physically independent (see the revised version of the timeline below) and realized that I hadn’t ticked off anything new on that list since the end of last year so from today onwards I am going to do two things everyday to become physically independent and when I get those done I’ll move on to the next items on my list I want to travel the world someday and I can’t do that if I need help doing the “simplest” things. Do you revisit your goals and make adjustments?
Timeline to complete all the things I need to do to become physically independent [revised]
- To brush my teeth – partially achieved – I can brush my teeth just fine but I need someone to help me lean over the sick so that the toothpaste ends up in the sink and not all over my shirt [MUST BE achieved 4/23/2012)]
[Achieved] To sign my name on a document (I never write anything out I always use a computer/laptop) – achieved sort of/needs more practice – I signed for my debit card and it was accepted but when I signed to renew my passport it was denied [MUST BE achieved two Sunday’s from now (October 2, 2011)]
- To type with both hands – needs more practice – I have been typing with only my left hand so long that it’s hard to break [MUST BE achieved 2 months from now 6/13/2012)]
- To eat and drink by myself – partially achieved/needs more practice – I can feed myself with a spoon and drink from a mug and glass but feeding myself with a fork and knife is still difficult [MUST BE achieved 4/23/2012)]
- To push myself around on my wheelchair – needs more practice most of the time I’m too lazy so I ask my family to wheel me around ‘[MUST BE achieved in the next 6 months (October 13, 2012)]
- To get in and out of bed by myself – not yet attempted because my parents are always around and even if they weren’t I would be too afraid to try because I fall and break my bones [MUST BE achieved in the next 6 months (October 13, 2012)]
- To go to the bathroom by myself– again not yet attempted because my parents are always around and even if they weren’t I would be too afraid to try because I fall and break my bones [MUST BE achieved in the next 6 months (October 13, 2012)]
- To bathe myself – attempted/needs more practice – I tried two days ago when my mother was in the hospital with my brother but since I can’t bend my back because there’s a metal rod in it – I had Scoliosis – that proved to be difficult [MUST BE achieved in the next 6 months (October 13, 2012)]
- To undress and redress myself – attempted/needs more practice – sometimes I can only get one hand out a sleeve other times it’s both and on a really good I can take my whole shirt off [MUST BE achieved in the next 6 months (October 13, 2012)]